3.17.2008

Better Late Than Never

I just wanted to remind everyone about an incredible book by Father Neuhaus that is indispensable Lenten reading. It's called Death on a Friday Afternoon and it is an absolutely beautiful 300 page meditation on Christ's seven last statements while on the cross. Even if you don't have time to read the entire book before Easter, it is worth avoiding skimming the text. Death was meant to be enjoyed slowly. After all, as Neuhaus notes, "If what Christians say about Good Friday is true, then it is, quite simply, the truth about everything." It is a book that is not only about a single momentous afternoon on a mountain named Calvary, but about every single day of every single human life. Resist the urge to plow through the prose; Easter is not the deadline for a work which remains germane for 365 days of the year.

3 comments:

Zach said...

What an excellent book.

I brought it with me to Florida.

I need to get you a copy!

Dave said...

I'm still waiting for mine... Haha

Ol' Blue said...

I just ordered my copy on amazon. Thanks for the tip.