8.04.2008

sick of the revolution

A while back I read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I admit I didn't really understand the book, but I remember it being an enjoyable read, at least. Apparently its hipster author, David Eggers, publishes a quarterly literary journal, "McSweeney's", with content available online. Perusing the site, I found this short story; it's sort of amusing. So I present to you Part One of "Sick of the Revolution" :
My boyfriend and I went to join the revolution. Nicaragua had the best revolution, he and I agreed. There were several other revolutions in the area—in El Salvador and in Guatemala, in Honduras, in Panama (sort of). My boyfriend said we should get shots and malaria pills and that we would ride the bus there.

I knew my mother and father were not going to go for this so I didn't tell them. I wrote them a letter from Mexico. Actually I wrote the letter in Nogales on the American side of the border, then I crossed the border and mailed it from the Nogales post office on the Mexican side.

The letter went something like:
Dear Mom and Dad,

I'm sorry to tell you in this way but I've left school and I am going to join the revolution. I'm going to first go to the one in El Salvador, then to the one in Nicaragua, due to the layout of the land. I have been called by God.
- - - -

My father still tells the story of the time I went to join the revolution.

That girl told us nothing, he says. I had no idea. I open the mailbox and there's a letter from Mexico saying she's off to foment the revolution.

He used to shout it, She told me nothing! and point at me—there she is, the traitor, the tramp.

Later he said it sadly, shaking his head: I had no idea.

Later he said it with pride. His loony girl, a bit like him. Do you know he once owned a Communist bookstore?

Now he tells it like an old joke. So one day I open the mailbox ...

- - - -

As it happens, it was the very end of the revolution, the year my boyfriend and I went, but the way it looked to us, we were arriving at the very beginning. It was a new world order. Everybody in the world was talking about it. The revolution was coming over the ocean. It was floating up through Texas. It could spread over America. People were writing their ideas in the papers. But a year later the Berlin Wall came down and soon after that the Sandinistas were gone, the Cold War was over, and the FMLN signed a peace accord. By the time we arrived, the decay had set in but we didn't know. There were a lot of us like this on the scene.
I like the theme of disillusionment. Then again, I wasn't an English major, so do I really know what I'm talking about?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't get it. is that a story?


"Communist bookstore" makes me think of that used paperback shop in Claremont that had a "Beware the FBI...they want to know what you're reading!" sign taped to the door.

Zach said...

Yeah I don't get it either.

For some reason, I thought it was funny.

James H said...

LOL that is a great story