1.06.2008

Tim Russert said hi to me!

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a National Review gathering in downtown Manchester, NH. I listened to Jonah Goldberg, Mark Steyn, and Rob Long crack jokes and talk politics for roughly two hours, and it was excellent. I was surprised at how funny they all are (it's not just on paper). I'm bad at repeating jokes, so perhaps if Catherine remembers some of them she can post them here. But I can give you some take on their opinions about the elections.

First - None of the commentators believed that Huckabee is healthy for the party. One went as far to say that he represents a nascent right-wing identity politics, which I think is an idea with great merit.

Secondly, they all think Barack Obama is going to take off in a big way. After seeing his performance in the debate last night, I have to agree. He is a very appealing candidate, and it would be very difficult for the Republicans to beat him come November.

No comments: